Saturday, April 11, 2020

The thing about Cancel Culture


What I've noticed about cancel culture is that when you get canceled, it's easy for people to hate you. It's similar to when you dislike someone, and anything they say or do irritates you.

I say this because anytime I do one of these media diaries, I've noticed a large number of people spreading hate to James Charles. Which was the first person I wrote about, for the effects of cancel culture in today's society.

And it's not like he's being canceled time and time again but rather because he was canceled once anything he does is offensive.

Recently there was a trend going around where people took their mugshot photos. These photos were not actual mugshots, but people were taking pictures of themselves, adding makeup to look beat up.

I saw this trend going around everyone, and anyone was doing it, and James decided to follow the trend, but things didn't go too well for him. Because as soon as he joined, people found the pictures offensive, and he started receiving tons of hate.

But the thing is that he didn't create this trend; he just decided to participate in an activity that everyone was doing. But why is James the one who takes the hit for this?

Yes, I get its offensive to victims of domestic violence, but it's not like domestic violence victims didn't exist before James pictures. I don't how there wasn't any backlash for all the other people who also participated. And I'm not saying that people should go after every single person who joined in on the trend. But how is it right to go after someone because they did one thing that you didn't see right.

And I'm not saying all of this because I'm a James Charles fan, but I do not hate everything he does because of the Gage situation. We need to remember that James is just as much of a human as any of us.

His life is now in the spotlight from the moment he became an influencer; everything about him is going to be public. That sucks having everything out in the open regardless if you want it there or not. 

No comments:

Post a Comment